Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Giving Spirit

I was recently on www.heifer.org buying a friend a birthday present (she got ducks), and I was thinking about how easy it is to make somebody's life a little better, with practically no inconvenience on your part.  I am a Heiferaholic.  Whenever someone needs a gift, whether it be a birthday or Christmas or just because, Heifer.org in my go-to website.  I've given ducks, lambs, chickens, and honeybees to people all over the world.  None of my friends or family members need anymore material things, so I give a donation on their behalf.  They always appreciate it, and I'm sure the people on the receiving end do as well.

FreeRice.com is without a doubt one of the best websites I've have ever been on.  One of my middle school teachers introduced it to me, and I've been visiting it frequently ever since.  What you do it match words with their synonyms.  You are given a choice of four words or short phrases to make to the original word.  But what makes this website so good is that for each pairing you get correct, the website will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations, who then gives it to an area in need.  So along with being great practice for when I was studying for my SATs, Freerice.com also does the world some good.


There are many websites like this, a favorite of mine being www.freepoverty.com, which donates cups of water as you locate cities all over the world.  A website that makes you smarter AND helps people in need?  What could be better?  And all it takes is a minute of two of your free time and brain power.  There are some many people in the world who don't have necessities like clean water, so why not do something to help them?  It's fun, easy, and will give you good karma points.

7 comments:

  1. I love the concept of FreeRice.com! When I first heard about it I thought "Maybe if I stopped playing slime soccer for just five minutes I could play a game that is both mentally stimulating and can help others". Imagine how much good we could do if a game like Call of Duty gave donations per player!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I first found out about FreeRice.com! I was at a leadership/community service seminar, and one of the workshop sessions was simply an hour in the computer to play around on FreeRice. It's a great idea that incorporates both entertainment and service.
    And in response to Marvin's suggestion on COD... I wholeheartedly agree! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I remember hearing about FreeRice.com a while ago, but completely forgot about it. This was a great reminder, and freepoverty.com sounds awesome, too! I'll have to remember to go on them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just going to keep reading your "Internet Encounter" blog every week instead of your Rhetoric and Civic Life blog. It's so interesting to see what the websites are that you're going to talk about. Last week after you talked about oddee, I read a significant amount of the websites, my roommate did as well. It was just entertaining and funny. The best one was the the dumbest yahoo answers questions that were asked.

    This weeks is also another website that I have never heard of before, but it was still very interesting and fun to read about. It seems like it could find time in the segment of my life when I am not being productive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember receiving my first "flock of sheep" from my Uncle as a birthday gift and LOVED the idea! I have everything I need as of now so why not use my birthday as an opportunity to give back!

    I also remember FreeRice.com from high school and would spend most of my study hall time giving rice instead of studying for my APs.I think my obsession might be coming on again...why do STAT homework when I can be helping those in need? Thanks for the excuse! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a great website! I have heard of it before, but your blog makes me really want to check it out. Since we all waste time on the internet anyway, it would surely be worthwhile to help others while doing it. What an awesome choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I'd forgotten about this, which is really too bad. It combines helping people with my love of words. Two-fer!

    In terms of cool, help-other-people-out sites, my absolute favorite is Kiva.org. I may even talk about it in class some day, as it is an incredibly compelling (structurally persuasive) model. Plus, the founder has a great story.

    ReplyDelete