Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Worthy Cause

I have a slight obsession with jewelry.  Not big, flashy stuff with pearl and bling and whatnot, but like string bracelets and rings.  At the moment, I've got 2 bracelets on my left wrist, 3 on my right wrist, a ring on my right hand, and an anklet on my left foot.  I'll give you a little back story to each of these.  My left wrist is home to a braided leather bracelet that I bought in a flea market in France and what is basically a really long string wrapped around my wrist probably 10 or 15 times.  My ring is a silver Claddagh bought by my best friend in Ireland.  On my right wrist I've got a crab-shaped Silly Band (and I'm not ashamed to admit that) two Brazilets and 46664 Bangle.

Never heard of Brazilets before, have you?  Well allow me to educate you.  They originated in the Bahia region of Brazil (hence the name) and are believed to bring good luck to the wearer.  The bracelet must be tied in three knots, one for each wish you make, and you must allow it to degrade naturally.  Once it falls off of your wrist, your wishes are said to come true.  I have had mine since last May and they are still in relatively good condition, and my mom still has her originals from the summer of 2006.  The proceeds from these bracelets go to Plant A Billion Trees, an organization that replants trees in the Brazilian Rainforest.
My other bracelet that you probably haven't heard of is the 46664 Bangle.  That number may or may not ring a bell in any of your minds, but it's significance is that it was Nelson Mandela's number while he was imprisoned in South Africa from 1964 to 1990.  The proceeds from this bracelet go towards the 46664 Foundation, which Mandela founded to raise awareness for HIV and AIDS.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a sucker for products which benefit different organizations and causes.  If something says that it helps cure cancer or aid people in poverty in Guatemala, I will more than likely buy their product over something different.  I like to think that my purchase makes a difference, even if it is small.   I know that I can't save the world, but if I know that Ican make at least one person's life a little better, I will do all that I can to help them, even if it is something as small as buying a little bracelet. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the Brazilets! The idea is both cute and ingenious. I think I'm going to purchase one when I get home! :)
    It always brings a smile to my face when I see neat products being put to use for good. While Brazilets may be just 5 US dollars each, I'm sure the impact that they are having on the rain forests is great.
    Raising funds in this way has the potential to have such a big impact, especially today where we can plant trees, fight hunger, and support victims through a mere click of a button.
    Thanks for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo, I like the Nelson Mandela bracelets. Those are so fresh. I completely agree with the purchasing of things that are for a benefit. When people ask what they are, it sounds so much better to say that they are for some benefit to people than just saying I bought them because I liked the way that they looked.

    The Brazilets are cool, but I like the Nelson Mandela bracelet more. I don't like loose things that hang like that or clothe. At the same time, I like making wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brazilets and the Nelson Mandela bangle is absolutely a great idea! It brings a fresh, new outlook to an everyday accessory, and you can help others,too! Who can argue with that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a marvelous concept these Brazilets are! I wonder, what material are they made out of? Honestly, it kind of makes me want to get one myself that this is such a novel concept.

    ReplyDelete