Friday, February 25, 2011

1000 Awesome Things!

1000 Awesome Things is a genius website.  The concept is wonderfully simple, yet entertaining for hours on end.  It's a blog about completely random things in life that can make you happy.  Yesterday's featured article was #302 'Grandma Hair.'  You know, the perfectly coiffed white (or grey) fluff that everyone's grandmother has?  It was an article dedicated to just that.  And then this morning, it was #300, Successfully Navigating Your Home in the Dark.  I am an epic home navigator, so I really loved reading about this one.
This is not my grandma.


The original list of 1000 is not yet complete, but it has all been archived, so you can read them all in numerical order if you ever have hours upon hours of free time.  They range from actually useful things (#386  Double Spacing Your Essay So That It Takes Up Way More Space) to totally random (#710 When Little Babies Let Out Adult-Sized Burps), but each one get a chuckle out of me.  They are each written in a style that is very relaxed, almost like you are in a conversation with the author.  And the best part is that there are still 300 Awesome Things left to be written!  A new entry is written every weekend (sorry Saturday and Sunday, I guess you're just not special enough to get your own entries), so we've still got around a year's worth of Awesome Things to look forward too.

The author has also taken it upon himself to write books of awesome things, so if you really get into the website, go ahead and buy his books.  I have not bought them, but I am definitely thinking about doing so.  The website is awesome, so I would think that the books would be just as, if not even more, awesome.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your passion blog posts. I look forward to them each week! I mean, sure, I don't need another reason to waste another afternoon on the web or put off that polisci paper due tomorrow, but your website suggestions keep me entertained for hours!
    I read #300, and I had to keep myself from laughing out loud.
    "The only step after this is evolving to use some sort of sonar like a dolphin or bat."
    I guess I'll have to start working on my evolving skills...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa, what a great find! I am a major proponent of enjoying the little things in life and this website embodies my personal mission and then some! Keep the Sites coming because I am loving this blog! I have to wonder, though, what do you think they'll do after they hit 1000?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is another great encounter for me. I was reading the list on their site and it's amazing. They catalog those things that we all do and like, but they are subtle and we may not notice them. Everyone wakes up and looks at their clock and when they see that they have two more hours, gets excited. However, we may not think about it until we see that someone else has mentioned it. It's just a blog where it is great to have things that we've noticed, get pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really is a great idea! Everyone could use a little pick-me-up from day to day, and this is exacly the website to do it! I look forward to seeing what you find each week and this one definitely put a smile on my face!
    I can't wait to see what unique website you find next week!

    ReplyDelete