Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Soundtrack to My Life

I'll admit it, I've got some strange musical tastes.  Just the other day I subjected my roommate to something that my computer likes to call 'Dream Crunk.'  Apparently the genres of Rock, Pop, and R&B just aren't enough anymore, and so we get 'Dream Crunk.'  The band that was under this genre was Sleigh Bells, a wonderful duo of hardcore guitars and psychedelic vocals.  I would never have discovered this gem of a group were it not for SoundCloud or 8 Tracks.

Both of these websites are music sharing mega sites.  I can be on them for hours and hours on end, happily discovered perviously unheard of musical acts.  Some of my all time favorites have been found on here, including Sleigh Bells, We Were Promised Jetpacks, and Chew Lips.  SoundCloud (as soon as you get past the pesky sign up stage) is used mostly by unsigned and unrepresented band who are hoping to get a record deal, or small record companies looking for the next great indie sensation.  On SoundCloud, you can search for specific people, labels, or songs, and you can also download many songs completely free (and it's legal!)  Another nifty little function is that you can post a comment directly onto the song, so while listening, you can read what other people think about the songs.

8 Tracks is a simpler concept than SoundCloud, but just as good for finding interesting new stuff.  I'm listening to a 'friday night dance party' playlist right now (Ray Ban Vision by A-Trak feat. CyHi Da Prynce), and it's given me a great mix of rap, pop, and dub.  You can find a playlist for any mood in 8 Tracks; I've got a great go-to studying list, and also a rainy day list.  Anyone can submit a playlist to 8 Tracks, so if you're ever feeling creative and want to share your musical prowess with someone, here you go.  So, I'm writing this blog at 11.52 pm, and I just made a list.  Here it is.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I could not put my finger on it, but I knew I had heard of Sleigh Bells somewhere. It then hit me; I had "purchased" their song Infinity Guitars on iTunes when it was free song of the week! Definitely an unorthodox group, and that is one of the best aspects of these indie bands; they compete for attention so they work outside the box to get noticed. Keep up the good work, Tess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbling upon another music site is definitely appealing to me. These websites seem interesting, and I'll have to check them out when I'm looking to add a new flavor to my ipod!

    And I do have to say Ray-Ban Vision is one of my favorites! Not many people have heard of the song, so it was surprising to me that it was on your play list! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete