Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sometimes I amaze myself.

Woah.  I just found the coolest thing ever.  It's called The Laybrinth of Genre, and it has officially blown my mind.  I was on it for a good forty-five minutes yesterday, it it's pretty fascinating.  Some of the artists featured I had never heard of, but they are definitely going to be added to my iTunes library.

Music is a pretty amazing thing.  Not to sound too horribly cliche, but music really does bring people together.  I was in a choir in high school, and last summer we went to Spain, Andorra, and France.  I don't speak a lick of Spanish, and whenever I had traveled overseas before I had always known the language, so getting around the English- Spanish language barrier was very hard.  I couldn't understand anything that the people were saying, but when we were singing, all the barriers just stopped existing.  I could understand their expressions just as they could understand the words I was singing, and we just had this moment of harmony, where it was okay to not know what each other was saying but we could feel what each other was feeling.
This was one of the many songs we sang while on tour, and it's still one of my all time favorites to sing.  This video was recorded in Cavaillon, France, where we had the pleasure of singing with the local choir, whose average age was approximately eighty.  But that sang with the spirit of children.  I was an absolutely amazing experience.

I am a huge advocate of music everywhere.  I can't go an hour without listening to something, and I don't really care what it is.  I listen to Sublime, Lil' Wayne, Justin Bieber (oh yeah), Kenny Chesney, Mozart, and the Dave Matthews Band.  You name it; I listen to it.  I love it all because music is so much more than a beat and some lyrics, each song has it's own personality.  Music extends across all boundaries made my race, gender, language, and geography.  It can take you by the soul and show you something that could never otherwise be seen.  Sorry for waxing poetic, but I can't help it.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said about music, I love it so much! Also that song was so amazing, I'm impressed. I'm jealous that you got to visit those places, also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said. Music is a great connector, and it is an excellent way to express ypurself and have others hear what you have to say. Music is special, not only to the artist, but to the listener as well because each beat, each note, each lyric speaks to him or her in a different way. Music is timeless, and I think that is what makes is so valuable.

    ReplyDelete